IBA Communication Club (IBACC)
Mind cannot be chained. Individual intellect will bloom to its fullest no matter how strong the boundaries are. The students of Institute of Business Administration-the premium business school of Bangladesh has always strived to reach the peak of their latent talent, in terms of academics as well as co-curricular activities. Keeping in mind the necessity to adopt with the spinning world of business, the students formed a club, a club that will assist them in achieving what they have always craved for. Thus came into existence IBA Debating club (IBADC), later renamed as IBA Communication Club (IBACC).
IBADC started functioning smoothly in the year 2002, in the process organized a round of Intra IBA debates. Simultaneously IBADC started to mark its footsteps in the national arena by winning the National Debate Championship 2002 organized by Notre Dame Debating Club, Inter Club National Debate Championship 2002 organized by Viqarunnisa Debating Club and National Debate Championship organized by Dhaka University Debating Society (DUDS).
In 2004, IBADC organized its first ever major event at national level- Greenmint-Prothom Alo Inter business School debate Competition. The event became a huge success and helped IBADC mark its footstep at the national level.
Since then, IBACC has organized a number of Debate tournament and other competitions over the last few years. The national Tournaments are highlighted below.
1. “IBA National English Debate Championship 2006”
2. “Second IBA National English Debate Championship 2007”
3. “Brandwitz”2008: An inter business school marketing and branding competition.
4. “Brandwitz” 2009
5. “Brandwitz” 2010
Students and members of the Club have proved to be competent both in the national and international arena by bringing in titles at regular intervals.
International- “Debate” Category
• “OIC Intervarsity Debate Championship 2010”: IBA became the first ever team from Bangladesh to become the champion in an international debate competition. The team consisting of Md. Abir Hasan Niloy, Ashfaqul Haq Chowdhury and Gaushey Shahriar became the champions in “OIC Intervarsity Debate Championship 2010” Organized by the International Islamic University Malaysia.
• “15th All Asian Debate Championship”: A team from IBA reached the Quarter Final Stage of 15th All Asian Debate Championship. This was the first time that a Bangladeshi team reached the Quarter Final of this competition.
• IBA students have been performing tremendously well in Worlds Debate Championship and different other International tournaments.
International- “Business Competition” and Other Category
• HSBC “Young Entrepreneurs Award” (YEA): IBA students have been performing tremendously well in this international competition. In 2007, Zeeshan B. Rahman, Joydeep Choudhury and Baizeed M. Nur won the regional title of HSBC Young Entrepreneurs Award. The award was the first international award that saw its way to IBA. From then onwards, IBA has been winning the Diamond or Jade award every year. This year IBA clinched Diamond.
• “Global Social Venture Competition”: In the largest business plan competition of the world, IBA students teaming up with Dhaka University students won the Asia-Africa regional final 2011, beating 86 business schools and universities across two continents.
• “PolyU Innovation and Entrepreneurship Global Student Challenge”: For the first time ever in 2011, a team from IBA represented Bangladesh and won the Bronze award beating Universities from 21 different countries. The competition was organized by The Polytechnic University, Hong Kong.
• MAAW “Global Academic Challenge”: For 3 years in a row, IBA has bagged one of the top 3 positions in this competition. In 2010, IBA became the only University to secure two places (1st and 2nd runner up) in the top three.
• “Global Social Entrepreneurship Competition” (GSEC): For 2 year in a row, IBA students have been selected to participate in the semi-finals of the competition held in University of Washington, USA.
National – “Debate” Category
• IBA became the champions in 4th IUT Nationals hosted by Islamic university of Technology organized in 2010.
• A team from IBA won the championship in Debate Nationals organized by KUET in 2011.
National – “Business Competition and Other” Category
• HSBC “Young Entrepreneurs Award” (YEA): For five years in a row, IBA have won the national title and represented Bangladesh in the regional competition
• The CIMA Global Business Challenge: In 2011, all 4 finalist teams were selected from IBA. The champion team will participate in the global round to be held in China on July, 2011
• Promologic: This competition, hosted by North South University Debating Club (NSUDC), saw its championship title going to IBA for 3rd time a row in year 2010.
• Citi Financial Quiz Competition: IBA won the championship title for the 3rd time in a row in year 2010.
Polemics: It is the official souvenir of National Debate Competition. The two issues came out in year 2006 and year 2007 respectively
• Brandedge: Comes out as the official souvenir of Brandwitz. Three issues have been published so far in year 2008, 2009 and 2010.
All the efforts that were put into every work of IBACC got the recognition in year 2008 when IBACC was judged as the best club of the country. The work which started way back in 2002, and still continues to go on, certainly had an injection of new strength with this award. The dedication and aspiration of all the club members continues to take the club to a newer height. Now a day, IBACC is a name which is applauded as well as envied by every club of the country. The road may be lengthy and uneven, but together we can take it even further… “Excellence. Communicated